You are here
Principal Contractor Duties
Coordinating the construction of your project safely and efficiently
A principal contractor is appointed on some construction projects where there is more than one contractor involved. The role of the principal contractor is to control the construction phase and manage the health and safety risks.
Locogen offer the following services as principal contractor:
- Planning, management, monitoring and coordinating of the entire construction phase
- Taking account of the health and safety risks to everyone affected by the work (including members of the public) throughout the construction phase
- Liaising with the client and principal designer through the duration of the project to ensure that all risks are effectively managed
- Preparation and regular review of the construction phase plan
- Consulting and engaging with workers about their health, safety and welfare
- Ensuring suitable welfare facilities are provided and maintained throughout the construction phase
- Checking that anyone they appoint has the skills, knowledge, experience and, where relevant, the organisational capability to carry out their work safely and without risk to health
- Ensuring all workers have site-specific inductions, and any further information and training they need
- Taking steps to prevent unauthorised access to the site
- Liaising with the principal designer to share any information relevant to the planning, management, monitoring and coordination of the pre-construction phase
Need a contractor for your project?